Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 24 of 24

Thread: My Altec A10

  1. #21
    Inactive Member bvn's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 2nd, 2010
    Posts
    22
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: My Altec A10

    Tried the Yahoo route. It seems to be Windows friendly and Linux hostile. Went back to Google Picasa which supports Linux in general and Fedora in particular. I already have Google in my YUM repository list so all I had to to do was a "yum install picasa". Unfortunately, Picasa doesn't support gif format - which, I think, has licensing (legal) issues and thus, is not GPL compliant. I upped the resolution to 600 x 450. Hope that helps.
    ---
    I also tried PNG (Portable Network Graphics) but that was 3 times the size of the JPEG.

  2. #22
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Re: My Altec A10

    Bummer, I can't really tell much difference other than they are bigger. Oh well, about all I can add ATM is that maybe photobucket or some other free hosting site is more Linux friendly.

    GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

  3. #23
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: My Altec A10

    Quote Originally Posted by bvn View Post
    Good points. I'll try again with with GIF format. I de-res'd (reduced the resolution) my JPEG's to about 1% of the original. Why? I basically duplicated the size of other pictures at this site, which were roughly 300 x 200. I don't do this artistic stuff very often and have little talent for it.

    Many of the pictures posted here are clickable...... meaning they aren't full size until you click on them. That's done by the forum software. All you need to do is resize your pictures down to about 800x600 or 1000xsomething. Also, I think you may be using the wrong function to change the size. When you say "de-res" that sounds like you're changing the picture quality to change the size. You only want to resize, not change the quality of the image.
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

  4. #24
    Inactive Member bvn's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 2nd, 2010
    Posts
    22
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: My Altec A10

    Re D-Rres. The originals are 10mB JPEG's compressed down to 3 to 4 mB. The D-Res'd pictures are compressed down to 1/4 mB using cubic interpolation. I'll put the full res ones up.
    ---
    Seems that Picasa is more clever than I. It did a much better job of size reduction without as much image degradation. Hope these versions work better for you. They were clearer on my machine. Thanks for pushing. I learned something new.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.